King IV™ is voluntary applied, on an Apply and Explain basis.
It applies to all organisations, regardless of their form of incorporation. It is structured as a Report that includes The Code™, and additional separate sector supplements for SME’s, NPO’s, State-Owned Entities, Municipalities and Retirement Funds.
Purpose of The Code™:
It focuses on the following outcomes:
- Ethical culture
- Good performance
- Effective control
Principles and practices contained in The Code™:
- Organisational ethics
- Responsible corporate citizenship
- Strategy and performance
- Primary roles and responsibilities of the governing body
- Composition of the governing body
- Committees of the governing body
- Evaluation of the performance of the governing body
- Appointment and delegation to management
- Risk governance
- Technology and information governance
- Compliance governance
- Remuneration governance
Governing body responsibilities explained in The Code™:
When is The Code™ effective:
King IV™ was released on 1 November 2016. It is effective for financial years commencing from 1 April 2017.